Laptop won't connect to the internet

Author Comment

Help please Andrew.
My Toshiba laptop won't connect to the internet.
In fact the internet icon has disappeared altogether.
I have been in contact with plus-nett my internet provider who has checked and everything is working ok with the hub.
As you can see it's working ok or I wouldn't be typing this on my other laptop.
I have no idea what has happened, I've tried allsorts to get it back.
I expect there's a simple solution.
When I turn the router off and back on again, the icon appears for a minute enough for me to type my details then it disappears again.
Any help would be gratefully received.
Thank you!

Did you get it to work?

No Sal I didn't but thanks for asking.
I took the laptop to knowhow today and it worked fine there on their connection.
I can't understand why this is happening.
I have just tried it again, it holds connection for a couple of minutes and that's it.

Admin

I doubt I can be of much help but the first thing I would do in this situation is to boot the laptop beside the router and see how long the connection holds for.

Did you install Windows 10?

I did that Andrew but the connection didn't hold for very long.
I got someone out to look at it and it was the router, although it had worked fine for the past year.
I now have a plusnet router fitted.
For some reason though the internet is a lot slower and when I try and vote for my yuku and aimoo groups, it takes me to white pages......Sigh!

No I didn't install windows 10 Sal. :D

Have a good weekend!

DD, I'm glad it's working for you.

Still slow

All fixed now.
I wasn't added some important info to the username :\

*Adding even*.
I'm so glad I sorted this my self.
I knew it was something simple that I had overlooked

Admin

An unusual problem, I must say. Quite interesting. I'm glad you are back in business again.

The test you did beside the router did indicate that it was likely a hardware issue. PN will usually loan you a router if it is suspect. Why did it fail? Possibly temperature related. Routers need to be kept cool. Out of the sun and with a good airflow around it is a good start and probably enough. Quality components will last longer than cheap ones. Sadly, a sign of the times.

Thanx Andrew.
It's good to be back.
I get so annoyed when I can't fix these problems myself.
The new router is in a corner on it's own out of the sun.
It wasn't a cheap one, it was £70, a price I would expect to pay these days.
I feel so silly I missed a part of my user name out.
You would have thought that my internet provider would have gone through all this with me but they were blaming my laptop more than the router and the connection to the internet.
If I hadn't have gone through all my paper work, I would still be offline now. :(
Anyone want to buy a cheap plustnet slower than slow router which I was palmed off with lol? :P

Admin

To be fair, even by your own logic, it seemed most likely to be related to the laptop, as your other laptop did work.

PN has problems. It was a smaller ISP that grew faster than they could properly staff it. A whole new call center was added to cope with the increased demand. The new guys had nowhere near the same training or experience of the old ones. It's luck of the draw who you get. On the plus side, it is UK based.

Wireless is a known issue with some of the PN supplied routers. Many of the older guys would have sent you a loan router just to eliminate it. If it did, you'd just be able to keep it (FOC).

I know there are some good routers out there but it is unlikely I would buy them. For example, cheap and cheerful Netgear stuff will likely perform adequately for most people. It was different in the past but these days I would not touch a Thompson/Speedtouch.

Usually BT badged stuff is pretty OK. For example, a Home Hub 6 will cost you around £20 used or £40 new from eBay. I'd happily buy used because it won't be that old and it had already been proven to work. BT Business products tend to be a cut above the rest.